Open a Support Ticket
Please provide as much detail as possible so we can best assist you. To update a previously submitted ticket, please use the form to the right.
Have questions about using FileCleaner? Want to know more about Windows cleanup and optimization? Have a look at the frequently asked questions, read the User Manual and check out our articles to become a PC speedup pro!
If you can’t find the answer to your question here, please submit a support ticket. We will respond as soon as possible.
I'm updating to Windows 10. Will your software continue to work?
We've become aware of an File Cleaner registration glitch that some people experience when they update to Windows 10. We've investigated the problem and found a solution. So, if you are planning to update to Windows 10, please follow these steps before you run the update:
1. Open File Cleaner and click on "About" in the top right corner
2. Make a note of your registration code, then select "Remove key" and close the program
3. Update your operating system to Windows 10
4. Open File Cleaner again and click on the "Register Now" button
5. Close the Web page that opens (you don't need that page because you already have your license code)
6. Enter your license code and the e-mail address you used to register in a pop-up window that appears
7. Click "Activate" and continue to enjoy File Cleaner
What is FileCleaner?
FileCleaner is a powerful and easy-to-use Windows cleanup utility and privacy protection tool. It removes PC history tracks, fixes Windows errors, helps you uninstall annoying toolbars and more. FileCleaner has a very intuitive interface and is very easy to use.
Why do I need FileCleaner?
Your operating system is made in such a way that it keeps traces and logs of everything you do on your computer. No matter whether you are opening or creating files, listening to music, browsing the Web or chatting via IM, everything gets recorded. This means that anyone who has access to your computer can see which websites you’ve visited, what images and movies you’ve seen, what files you downloaded, and so on. On top of that, all those temporary files take up gigabytes of disk space and make your computer slow. If you want to protect your privacy and make your computer run faster, you need to delete temporary files and history traces.
FileCleaner is the tool that allows you to erase all traces of your computer activity, including Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari for Windows and Opera cache and history. It will also clean system temp files and thus free up disk space occupied by junk files.
In addition to its history cleanup functionality, FileCleaner has a file shredder that will securely delete files for you, a registry cleaner to help improve the stability of your PC and a large files manager to help you free up even more space.
What are the system requirements for using FileCleaner?
FileCleaner works on all modern versions of Windows including Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / 10. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are supported.
How do I install FileCleaner?
To install FileCleaner, simply follow these steps:
- Download the program from https://www.filecleaner.com/download
- Double-click on the installer (Setup.exe) to start the installation
- Follow the on-screen instructions
How can I uninstall FileCleaner?
Uninstalling FileCleaner is just as easy as installing it:
- Exit the program - select Exit from the program tray menu.
- Go to the Control Panel and open "Add/Remove Programs" (“Uninstall a program” in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10). Find FileCleaner, highlight it and click on the Uninstall button
- Follow the on-screen instructions
What kind of history tracks can be cleaned with FileCleaner?
FileCleaner cleans all types of temporary files and history traces. It can clean browser history, browser cache (Temporary Internet Files), and cookies in all popular browsers. In addition to that, FileCleaner erases history tracks and temp files created by third party software and your operating system, clears the Recycle Bin and can help you uninstall browser add-ons and toolbars.
The RealTime Protect feature is there to help the user automate disk cleanup and history deletion tasks. It will clean all history tracks automatically as soon as you close your browser or messenger. This will ensure your computer stays fast and malware-free.
What browsers are supported?
FileCleaner supports Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera and Safari for Windows.
Can I configure FileCleaner to erase history, cache, and other junk files automatically?
Yes. With FileCleaner you don't need to remember to manually clean up browser history, delete Temporary Internet Files (browser cache files), clear cookies, empty Windows Temp folders and the Recycle Bin, and so on. All you need to do is schedule FileCleaner to perform automatic cleanup. Moreover, you can enable the Real-Time Cleanup option, which will automatically clear browser and messenger history as soon as you close them.
How can I erase history with FileCleaner?
Using FileCleaner to erase history traces is very easy – simply right-click on the FileCleaner tray icon and select “Run Cleaner”.
There is also an option to securely erase history traces. To do that, right-click on the FileCleaner tray icon and select “Run Secure Cleaner”.
How can I enable the Real-Time Cleanup feature?
If you want to enable Real-Time Cleanup to erase browser and messenger history automatically, do the following:
- Double-click on the FileCleaner tray icon
- Click on the Real-Time Cleanup button
- Select the Real-Time Cleanup checkbox
- Then select the browsers and messengers you want FileCleaner to clean in real time and click on the Apply Changes button to confirm.
Can I erase AutoComplete form data with FileCleaner?
Yes, you can. While AutoComplete is a very convenient feature, it also poses privacy risks. FileCleaner supports AutoComplete data cleanup and help you protect your privacy.
Can I delete my stored passwords with FileCleaner?
Yes you can. Simply make sure that the option to erase saved passwords is set for your browser and proceed with the cleanup.
How do I manually erase Internet Explorer history?
To erase history in Internet Explorer:
- Go to Tools and select Internet Options.
- The Internet Options dialog window will appear.
- On the General tab, click "Clear history".
- Click "OK" to erase history.
However, you should be aware that Internet Explorer still stores information about your online sessions in the index.dat file. This file can't be deleted manually because Windows uses it at all times. But when you erase your Internet Explorer history with FileCleaner, the program deletes the index.dat file content and thus protects your privacy.
Can I erase Internet history in one click?
Yes. Click on the "Clean Now" button or right-click on the FileCleaner tray icon and select "Run Cleaner” to clear all selected items.
What are index.dat files?
Index.dat files are cache files used by Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer saves information about web pages you visit, full address of the website/page and the time of your visit in several different index.dat files. Index.dat files can't be deleted manually because they are used by Windows all the time.
FileCleaner can delete the content of index.dat files along with history, cache and cookies.
What are cookies?
Websites store small files called “cookies” on your computer. Cookies are created to help websites recognize users when they return to a website, so that the website can offer customized content to the certain user. This makes using websites more convenient. However, cookies can also be a privacy threat, especially if they are tracking cookies that send information about how you use your computer and which websites you visit to advertisers. That’s why it’s best to delete cookies on a regular basis.
FileCleaner can delete cookies in all popular browsers. The program cleans up all types of cookies, including cookie records from index.dat files.
How can I erase cookies in Mozilla Firefox manually?
To erase cookies in Mozilla Firefox:
- Open the Tools menu
- Select Options
- Go to the Privacy tab
- Click View cookies
- Select one or more cookies you want to remove and click "Remove Cookie". (Clicking "Remove All Cookies" will delete all cookies.)
How can I erase cookies in Google Chrome manually?
To erase cookies in Google Chrome:
- Open the Customize and Control Google Chrome menu
- Select Clear Browsing Data
- Select the items you want to be removed
- Click Clear Browsing Data
How do I prevent FileCleaner from automatically running each time Windows starts?
To prevent FileCleaner from automatically running on Windows startup
- Open FileCleaner and click on Settings in the Menu column on the left
- Uncheck "Start when Windows starts"